Re: Finalizing Fedora's Switch to Python 3

On 28.7.2017 14:29, Brian Exelbierd wrote:
On Fri, Jul 28, 2017, at 12:48 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2017, at 12:07 PM, Miro Hrončok wrote:

   * Switch /usr/bin/python to Python 3 in cooperation with Python upstream.

That again?  That really seems like a nonstarter; previous
discussion specifically around Atomic Host + Ansible:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/T4PGIEUYXWXSDRVWYQ2BJXCECL45XWVW/

Plus just breaking everyone's random old scripts.  Now, I
don't know if this has been discussed upstream

This is a statement born of ignorance, but ...

Would it be possible to switch the default from python2 to python3 and
provide an RPM that would switch it back?  This way people who needed to
stay on python2 for some time period to clean up legacy components
before teh 2020 EOL could.

Not yet sure about the actual technical solution here, but we are planning for this use case, see [1]:

"Note that after Phase 1, nothing in Fedora uses /usr/bin/python any more, so it should be safe for sysadmins to flip the symblink back to python2 and we should provide a documented and supported way of doing so."

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FinalizingFedoraSwitchtoPython3#Phase_2:_Switch_python_to_refer_to_python3

I realize that package renaming and things like that will move forward
regardless and should.

regards,

bex

Miro Hrončok