Re: Finalizing Fedora's Switch to Python 3

On 28 July 2017 at 22:29, Brian Exelbierd <bex@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017, at 12:48 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
>> Plus just breaking everyone's random old scripts.  Now, I
>> don't know if this has been discussed upstream
>
> This is a statement born of ignorance, but ...
>
> Would it be possible to switch the default from python2 to python3 and
> provide an RPM that would switch it back?  This way people who needed to
> stay on python2 for some time period to clean up legacy components
> before teh 2020 EOL could.

Aye, while it's still a bit "and then some magic happens" at this
point, I actually think it may be possible to do something like this
through a combination of:

1. All Fedora packages switching to explicitly depending on either the
Python 2 stack or the Python 3 stack
2. Using the modularity tooling to make at least the target of
/usr/bin/python and potentially even the "python-*" dependency
resolution switchable

It's part 2 that counts as hand-wavey right now, since Boltron was
only just released, and we haven't even defined what we think the
Python 2 & Python 3 modules for the F27 Modular Server should look
like yet, let alone a "default-python" module that controls what
"/usr/bin/python" refers to. However, it seems to me that an approach
like that *should* work, so it's an idea I'm going to pursue until we
either having a working "Change it back!" switch, or else I've been
persuaded that it isn't feasible after all :)

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   ncoghlan@xxxxxxxxx   |   Brisbane, Australia