Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 5:17 AM, Jiří Eischmann <eischmann@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia píše v Út 18. 07. 2017 v 22:44 -0400:
>> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Debarshi Ray <rishi.is@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>> > Huh? How would you get sandboxing without Flatpaks? Unless you are
>> > proposing a different sandboxing technology.
>>
>> By putting them in "/opt", the way other sanely packaged 3rd party
>> components do?
>
> How does that ensure any sandboxing?

Complete sandboxing, with isolation from the network stack and the
rest of the host's filesystem? It doesn't. But functional sandboxing,
where a full software suite with its own libraries and binaries to be
supported separately from the rest of the operating sytem, Yeah, it
works pretty well to set up a separate workspace there and wrap the
calls of that customized suite in an "enable" script or a shell
wrapper, much as the Software Collections for RHEL have been doing
functionally for years for software backported from Fedora testing.

Even a chroot cage can be run there for service isolation from the
rest of the system. Gnome packaging... well, that's considerably
harder because it spews into $HOME/.gnome, in manners inconsistent
between even minor releases. Packaging Gnome looks like a fabulous
idea at first glance. It's one of those situations where the "first
90% takes 90% of the work, and the last 10% takes the next 300% of the
work".