Re: Apt at fedora.us

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Warren Togami wrote:
Ville Skyttä wrote:
FWIW, I would like to see the complete apt'table (pre-)Extras SRPMS
repos available at fedora.us and its mirrors.  The reasons have been
outlined in this thread.

I have to admit that I don't understand if there is any purpose in this. "apt-get source" is only a convenience but otherwise is not very useful.

Well, 'apt-get install foobar' is only a convenience as well, you could just as well manually locate latest version of, download and install with rpm. I find it a major pain in the ass to manually locate the latest version of a given src.rpm when apt (or any similar tool) can do it automatically for you.

"apt-get build-dep" does not need SRPMS at all except the local SRPM, which you already have locally because you want to build it. Is there some aspect of this that I am failing to see? I fail to see the "need" in this.

You have to manually locate and download the SRPM first, and then use # apt-get build-dep /path/to/srpms/foobar-1.2-1.src.rpm compared to just # apt-get build-dep foobar

It IS a much more convenient for us who deal with SRPMS a lot. Because the lack of the SRPMS I keep a local apt-enabled mirror of FC to be able to access the SRPMS without all the manual work, which feels somewhat ridiculous to me.

From the perspective of mirror administrators it is somewhat painful to host redundant RPMS. I personally don't have the disk space to do this forever with all distributions.

I suppose it is tolerable to do only SRPMS.extras of the latest stable distribution. When FC4 happens, I will wipe the 3 SRPMS.extras. Is this acceptable? I will however not add the base and updates SRPMS.

That'd be a definite improvement over not having the SRPMS at all.

	- Panu -