Re: Apt at fedora.us

Ville Skyttä wrote:
On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 13:47 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:31:01 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

I had asked Warren Togami to add them on PM and he answered:
"There is little good reason to do so.  Trying to limit the size of that
repository because many mirror administrators see it as redundant."

This is not true, SRPMS apt-repositories are not redundant. Not having
them implies loss of functionality to apt.

Well, then I think the Apt community may need to prove him wrong and do some lobbying.

FWIW, I would like to see the complete apt'table (pre-)Extras SRPMS
repos available at fedora.us and its mirrors.  The reasons have been
outlined in this thread.

I have to admit that I don't understand if there is any purpose in this. "apt-get source" is only a convenience but otherwise is not very useful. "apt-get build-dep" does not need SRPMS at all except the local SRPM, which you already have locally because you want to build it. Is there some aspect of this that I am failing to see? I fail to see the "need" in this.

From the perspective of mirror administrators it is somewhat painful to host redundant RPMS. I personally don't have the disk space to do this forever with all distributions.

I suppose it is tolerable to do only SRPMS.extras of the latest stable distribution. When FC4 happens, I will wipe the 3 SRPMS.extras. Is this acceptable? I will however not add the base and updates SRPMS.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx