Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

Christian Schaller wrote:
> One major reason is that it enables us to move towards having the Atomic
> Workstation version be the primary one and maybe in the (very) long run be
> the only one.
>
> A bit more detail about that can be found here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/AtomicWorkstation

And how is that a worthwhile goal to begin with? I see only disadvantages in
the Atomic model. No more fine-grained choice of packages, just a "take it
or leave it" blob. No more possibility to add additional repositories
replacing individual packages (in fact, it contradicts the modularity idea
that is also being planned). And to work around that, you force all
applications to be delivered as their own monolithic blobs duplicating all
the libraries that are already in the OS blob (either as part of a "Runtime"
or as part of the app itself).

I do NOT want an Atomic blob as my operating system. If Fedora forces its
users to use that, I will not use Fedora anymore.

        Kevin Kofler