Re: R 3.4 update

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 3:47:42 PM EDT Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2017-06-25 at 17:08 +0100, José Abílio Matos wrote:
> > On Sunday, 25 June 2017 16.38.00 WEST Steve Grubb wrote:
> >
> > > For example, when I run RStudio, I get:
> > >
> > > R graphics engine version 12 is not supported by this version of
> > > RStudio. The Plots tab will be disabled until a newer version of RStudio
> > > is installed.
> >
> > You need to update Rstudio to a newer version. That fixes this issue.
> >
> > > Also:
> > >
> > > Warning: Error in library: there is no package called ‘shinyjs’
> > > Stack trace (innermost first):
> > >
> > >     41: library
> > >
> > >      1: shiny::runApp
> > >
> > > Error : there is no package called ‘shinyjs’
> > >
> > > So, basically, anyone updating to the new R is dead in the water. It
> > > really needs to be rolled back to 3.3.3 in F24 & F25. Which leads to
> > > another issue...where is R in the bugzilla database? I can't find it.
> >
> > The only packages that needed to be rebuild are those that rebuild
> > packages that register C or Fortran functions:
>
> By policy, the Rstudio update and updates for all those packages should
> have been included with the update to R itself:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Updating_inter-dependent_packa
> ges

There really is no way to do this. We don't ship RStudio because its so hard
to package. I've tried creating a spec file and putting all the pieces where
it belongs but it doesn't work unless its installed to /usr/local which is
against Fedora policies. The best I could come up with is to create a blog to
tell everyone how to build it for themselves.

There just simply needs to be a rule of no update to a major release during a
shipped Fedora OS. R 3.3 -> 3.3.1 is fine as that's bug fixes. R 3.3.3 -> 3.4
has potential to wreck things on already shipped OS.

> "When one updated package requires another (or more than one other),
> the packages should be submitted together as a single update. For
> instance, if package A depends on packages B and C, and you want to
> update to a new version of package A which requires new versions of B
> and C, you must submit a single update containing the updated versions
> of all three packages. It is a bad idea to submit three separate
> updates, because if the update for package A is pushed stable before
> the updates for packages B and C, it will cause dependency problems."
>
> Also, it may be worth considering whether updating R to 3.4 is in line
> with these parts of the policy:
>
> "Releases of the Fedora distribution are like releases of the
> individual packages that compose it. A major version number reflects a
> more-or-less stable set of features and functionality. As a result, we
> should avoid major updates of packages within a stable release. Updates
> should aim to fix bugs, and not introduce features, particularly when
> those features would materially affect the user or developer
> experience. The update rate for any given release should drop off over
> time, approaching zero near release end-of-life; since updates are
> primarily bugfixes, fewer and fewer should be needed over time."

It sounds like this ^^^ fits best.

> "Package maintainers MUST:
>
>     Avoid Major version updates, ABI breakage or API changes if at all
> possible.
>     Avoid changing the user experience if at all possible.
>     Avoid updates that are trivial or don't affect any Fedora users."
>
> It would be great if the relevant maintainers could take these points
> into consideration for future updates. Thanks!

I'm trying to consider what to do to get a working RStudio again. I suppose I
can find the packages in the build system and do it manually. But it pulled in
a little over 20 dependency packages.

Also, what about the missing bz entry? I'd file a bug but I can't find an "R"
component to file a bug against. Try it.

Thanks,
-Steve