Re: Retiring Packages with Broken Dependencies in branched (2017-06-12)

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 11:38:38 PM CEST Till Maas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 04:20:25PM +0200, Pavel Raiskup wrote:

> > > perl-Alien-ROOT is the same case <https://pagure.io/releng/issue/6359>.
> > > The package is fine, but releng scripts cannot deal with it.
> >
> > It is really unfortunate...
> >
> > ... so because only one particular subpackage (which otherwise perfectly
> > working, noarch thingy) can't have satisfied dependencies on only one of
> > many supported architectures -> are going to drop the entire package (all
> > subpackages) from Fedora, I mean entirely?
> >
> > Till, what's the action plan for this?  Will you update the
> > removal-candidate-list somehow?
>
> Given the current limitations of our tooling I understand that the
> corect thing to do would be to:
>
> 1) make vim-syntastic a not-noarch package
> 2) Use %ifarch/%ifnarch conditionals to enable/disable subpackages depending on the
> arches they are properly supported/not-supported.
>
> Unfortunately this means extra work for you but it seems to be the work
> that is required for packaging vim-syntastic and providing a user
> experience without any broken dependencies in our stable release.
> I agree that it would be nicer to be able to just make the package
> noarch and just do not ship the subpackages that are not supported on
> the respective arch but I do not see how we will get there until the F26
> final release.

Meh, it wouldn't hurt anyone if we shipped not-installable "leaf" noarch
package, based on "whitelist" e.g. (only untill we have a fix for the tooling).

But I would be OK with this solution - if this idea was baked into guidelines
first.  Is it realistic to ratify new guidelines paragraph for this issue before
F26?

That's because (a) switching 'noarch' to arch-specific package is really
cumbersome and misleading, and some people might refuse to even think about it
(as I did, I considered this unacceptable at the beginning).  (b) Also we need
to have some banner for the people who take care of the tooling -- when you say
in guidelines that the noarch->arch-dependent switch is temporary hack, somebody
might be motivated enough to fix the issue finally.

Pavel