Re: Retiring Packages with Broken Dependencies in branched (2017-06-12)

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 04:20:25PM +0200, Pavel Raiskup wrote:

> > > Please don't remove this set of vim-syntastic* packages, there's
> > > nothing to do about this.  Once we have fixed release engineering
> > > processes [1] that allow me to ExcludeArch/ExclusiveArch particular
> > > **sub**packages, I'll do so.  Thanks!
> > >
> > > [1] https://pagure.io/pungi-fedora/issue/87
> > >
> > perl-Alien-ROOT is the same case <https://pagure.io/releng/issue/6359>.
> > The package is fine, but releng scripts cannot deal with it.
>
> It is really unfortunate...
>
> ... so because only one particular subpackage (which otherwise perfectly
> working, noarch thingy) can't have satisfied dependencies on only one of
> many supported architectures -> are going to drop the entire package (all
> subpackages) from Fedora, I mean entirely?
>
> Till, what's the action plan for this?  Will you update the
> removal-candidate-list somehow?

Given the current limitations of our tooling I understand that the
corect thing to do would be to:

1) make vim-syntastic a not-noarch package
2) Use %ifarch/%ifnarch conditionals to enable/disable subpackages depending on the
arches they are properly supported/not-supported.

Unfortunately this means extra work for you but it seems to be the work
that is required for packaging vim-syntastic and providing a user
experience without any broken dependencies in our stable release.
I agree that it would be nicer to be able to just make the package
noarch and just do not ship the subpackages that are not supported on
the respective arch but I do not see how we will get there until the F26
final release.