Re: Denyhosts journal reads (Was: F27 System Wide Change: Rsyslog log format change proposal)

On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 07:53:09PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 01:03:43PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> > ZJ> That should not be a problem, but maybe this is tickling some bug in
> > ZJ> the journal code?
> >
> > That's what it feels like.  I might be able to hack something up where I
> > force a journal rotation.  Rotation of the journal doesn't invalidate a
> > cursor, does it?
>
> If the cursor points at a file which is gone, it becomes invalid. So yeah,
> rotation of the journal can invalidate the cursor. In that case the code
> should continue from the "beginning", i.e. the oldest available entries.

BTW., a debugging hint: if you need to generate a scenario where there
data is flowing in and journal files get rotated, it's easier to use
systemd-journal-remote and either feed it data from an existing
journal, or generate simple entries in python [1]. This does not muck
up your real logs and is easier to control than a running
systemd-journald.

[1] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/src/journal-remote/log-generator.py

> > ZJ> One suggestion would be to attach gdb to the hanging script and look
> > ZJ> the sd_journal object.
> >
> > I can do that.  Is there any way to get at any useful debugging state
> > from within python?
>
> No, all the interesting information is in sd-journal code, even the C
> part of the python wrapper is very thin.

Zbyszek