Re: F27 System Wide Change: Rsyslog log format change proposal

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 06:55:31PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> ZJ> I you post the code somewhere, I could have a look.
>
> It's in the upstream "journal" branch of the denyhosts source:
>
> https://github.com/denyhosts/denyhosts/tree/journal
>
> https://github.com/denyhosts/denyhosts/commit/d0d66a2890d50a460ecd20ee0b10702fec18eaeb
>
> The meat is in DenyHosts/deny_hosts.py.  The code is mostly a mess
> because it's an attempt to cram journal processing into an existing main
> loop, and a lot of the diff is just reindentation.  My intent was to
> make sure the simple approach worked first and then refactor things to
> make it less unpleasant.

> Really all it's doing is "self.__journal = journal.Reader()", then
> adding some match clauses with disjunctions in between, and maybe
> "for entry in self.__journal:", but after running for some long period
> of time (usually days) that ends up blocking forever waiting for the
> next entry.

IIUC, the code does a sleep loop, and does not use polling. So it's
not particularly efficient, but it should work. If it hangs after a
few days, it sounds like it's hitting some race condition...
DAEMON_SLEEP is 30s, and that's long enough for all journal files to
be rotated away, sometimes. That should not be a problem, but maybe
this is tickling some bug in the journal code? I don't think we had
reports of such a problem, but there aren't that many independent
implementations of journal clients, so it's certainly possible that
some bugs are lurking.

I launched a script that tries to do the same, I'll let it run for
a few days [1] and see. Sorry, I don't think I can help. One suggestion
would be to attach gdb to the hanging script and look the sd_journal
object.

[1] https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/TakEtY0~9Knwc-G583NjO15M1UNdIGYhyRLivL9gydE=/

Zbyszek