Re: RPM macros - case insensitive since Fedora 27 (maybe Fedora 26)

On 25/05/17 09:23 +0200, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
Yes, you are right - I should use some prefix for it to clearly
distinguish these two macros. I originally thought the only one and
unique macro for Version: tag is only %{version} and %{VERSION} etc. are
different (because I thought all macros are case sensitive - I didn't
know that macros for tags are case insensitive lately). But %{VERSION}
macro worked well until Fedora 27, so this insensitivity was introduced
during fc26/fc27. Wouldn't it be better to create some guidelines for
RPM macros like "You mustn't create your RPM macros without some prefix"
rather than making macros for tags case insensitive?

The tags themselves are case-insensitive, but the macros aren't.

%{VeRsIoN} is not automatically defined. I just did a quick test and
%it looks like only %{VERSION} and %{version} are. Even %{Version} is
not. And I don't see %{VERSION} defined in an f26 mock build, only for
rawhide.

But I still think relying on %VERSION and %version to mean two
different things makes your spec confusing.