RPM macros - case insensitive since Fedora 27 (maybe Fedora 26)

Hi,

I was doing rebase for gutenprint pre-release in recent rawhide (fc27)
and I couldn't build it because I had %VERSION macro defined by myself
and it got rewritten by default macro %version. That indicates rpm
macros have been case insensitive since fc27 (colleague told me the same
situation is in fc26 too, but I encountered it in fc27).

Would anyone mind explaining why such change was introduced for RPM
macros, please? IMHO I do not think it is good idea, because it shrinks
group of useful names for packager defined RPM macros.

I hope I didn't miss discussion about it in the past. If that's so, my
apologies for duplicate.

Best regards,

Zdenek

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Associate Software Engineer

Every telecommunications Company in the Fortune Global 500 relies on Red Hat.

Find out why at Trusted | Red Hat