Re: F26 Self Contained Change: Making sudo pip Safe (Again)

On 02/07/2017 01:22 PM, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
On Tue, 2017-02-07 at 13:08 +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Dne 7.2.2017 v 11:32 Michal Cyprian napsal(a):
Ruby on Fedora uses /usr/local/share/gems/ for packages installed
as a root via gem tool for many years.

Since you refer to Ruby, I just want to highlight that
/usr/local/share/gems/ is for packages installed by *root* via gem
too (as you correctly said) [1]. We assume that root manages the
entire system and wants installed packages to be available system
wide. I don't expect this is widely used practice. Typical user
installed packages goes into $HOME/.gem. Is there any location
similar to this?

Yes, under ~/.local/lib/

It's what you get with `pip install --user $module`.

As far as I know, our users very appreciate the possibility to do
"gem install" without administrator privileges.

So do Python developers. It's very commonly used.

But even more common is to use virtual environments, one per
application.

---

I strongly feel this feature is a move in the wrong direction. I've
never met a Python developer (and I'm one myself) installing modules
system-wide with Pip. It seems to me the only people doing that are
people who follow bad documentations.

Well, I've met some that are writing the bad documentation. Their rationale was that pip's --user option doesn't work on Ubuntu, so they don't have many options. (This might have been fixed since, but old versions are still around.)

And, not just Python developers are installing software distributed over PyPI.

IMHO a much better (and simpler) way to fix the (very real) issue of
unsuspecting users damaging their systems would be for pip to refuse to
run with root permissions.

I wouldn't say it's simpler, unless you also want to disable `sudo pip --user`.

I believe that a proper fix, which includes making --user the default, is planned upstream.

--
Petr Viktorin