Re: F26 Self Contained Change: Making sudo pip Safe (Again)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason L Tibbitts III" <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Development discussions related to Fedora" <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2017 6:33:36 PM
Subject: Re: F26 Self Contained Change: Making sudo pip Safe (Again)

> JK> We aim to move the working directory for sudo pip3 to a more
> JK> appropriate location: /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages, and
> JK> modify the Python 3 interpreter in Fedora to scan both above
> JK> mentioned locations when importing modules.

> I wanted to point out a potential caveat with using /usr/local for
> things; some sites manage things under there in ways you can't really
> predict.  For example, all of my machines used to rsync the entire
> /usr/local tree from a master host.  Before that, it was an NFS mount.

> However, I no longer do that and I don't think Fedora would ever
> actually ship anything under /usr/local besides the few directories that
> the filesystem package creates, so I'm certainly not going to object.  I
> did, however, want make sure folks were aware that we should be careful
> not to assume too much about the structure of /usr/local.

 - J<

Ruby on Fedora uses /usr/local/share/gems/ for packages installed as a root
via gem tool for many years.

Sudo pip installed packages on Debian are stored under /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages.
We consider their switch to dist-packages unnecessary.

Placing user-installed modules into /usr/local is compliant with
the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, as pip-installed modules are
specific to the host and not part of the distribution.

Change owners