Re: F26 Self Contained Change: Making sudo pip Safe (Again)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Williamson" <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Development discussions related to Fedora" <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2017 6:12:33 PM
Subject: Re: F26 Self Contained Change: Making sudo pip Safe (Again)

>>  In addition, system-python—a
>> stripped down version of Python 3 for use by system tools—will not
>> read the sudo pip3 install location, making it more secure by being
>> less susceptible to interference by user-downloaded modules.
>>
>> From the technical standpoint, this will be accomplished by changing
>> the sys.prefix setting in the /usr/bin/python3 executable from /usr/
>> to /usr/local. pip3 will thereafter use this prefix when determining
>> where to install modules.

> This seems like quite a significant change. Have you investigated any
> potential unexpected consequences of this? Do setuptools etc. use this
> setting in any way? Have you checked for existing code reading it for
> any reason? Have you checked what else Python itself uses it for, and
> if any of that could be negatively affected?

We have checked how the main python packages and libraries will be affected
by this change. Whole environment including python3, system-python, setuptools,
pip and virtualenv was tested and it works fine.

> Presumably this change is applied only to Python 3 because there is no
> 'system-python-2'?

Yes, this change will be applied only to Python 3.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Change owners