Re: F26 Self Contained Change: Making sudo pip Safe (Again)

> On Fri, 2017-01-20 at 12:07 +0100, Jan Kurik wrote:
> > = Proposed Self Contained Change: Making sudo pip Safe (Again) =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Making_sudo_pip_safe
> >
> > Change owner(s):
> > * Michal Cyprian <mcyprian AT redhat DOT com>
> > * Petr Viktorin <pviktori AT redhat DOT com>
> > * Tomas Orsava <torsava AT redhat DOT com>
> > * Miro Hroncok <mhroncok AT redhat DOT com>
> >

> > At the present time, running sudo pip3 in Fedora is not safe. Pip
> > shares its installation directory with dnf, can remove dnf-managed
> > files and generally break the Python 3 interpreter. We propose a
> > series of measures that will make it safe to use.
> >

> > == Detailed Description ==
> > The danger of using sudo pip3 stems from the fact that both Python
> > dnf packages and sudo pip3 install modules to the same location,
> > namely /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages.
> >
> > We aim to move the working directory for sudo pip3 to a more
> > appropriate location: /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages, and
> > modify the Python 3 interpreter in Fedora to scan both above
> > mentioned locations when importing modules.
>
> This might also mean that we start using Python modules installed
> from self-compiled applications, which might not be intended (we do
> not include /usr/local/lib(64) in the default ldconfig path, AFAIK).

In addition to that, if someone compiles and installs their own Python,
it goes into /usr/local by default. (with the typical ./configure &&
make && make install)

Which means that its modules would go into
/usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages.

The suggested change means that the system Python would use the modules
intended for that local Python. (if they are the same version)

--
Mathieu