Re: Change process question [was Re: The glvnd + mesa update for F25]

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Fabio Alessandro Locati
<fale@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Since the plan has always been (as that page shows) to get it into F25,
>> > which would not make it a F26 change.
>>
>> There's a big Change process question here which I think FESCo should
>> resolve. If a Change does not meet the deadline, should it be released
>> as an update, automatically retargetted for the next release, or need
>> to be re-proposed? I think probably all answers of these possibilities
>> are appropriate for some cases; maybe we should make "if you didn't
>> make the deadlines, please run past fesco for what to do next" part of
>> the process.
>
> Hi,
>
> My POV is that if a Change does not meet the deadline needs _always_
> to be re-proposed.

As a Change wrangler, I typically ask Change owner(s) to postpone such
a Change to a next release. In case the owner(s) wants to have the
Change in the current release (even the deadline is over) I ask FESCo
to review and make a decision. So, whether a Change, being proposed
late i the process, will be accepted or not is evaluated case by case.
I do not think it will be wise to enforce the process in a hard way.
There always might be a Change we need to have included (for marketing
purposes, security issues, etc.) even it breaks the process. On the
other hand we should stick to the process as much as possible and do
exceptions just in case it is really necessary and we see the benefit
of it.

Regards,
Jan

> Fale
> --
> Fabio Alessandro Locati
> Red Hat - Senior Consultant
>
> PGP Fingerprint: E815 3C49 2A8D FD8B 1CBD  BC85 FDB3 DF20 B2DC 9C1B

Jan Kuřík
Platform & Fedora Program Manager
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic