Re: future of official optical media support in Fedora

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 3:35 AM, Ms Sanchez <bhkohane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No, impossible, now it's read only.

This is one way flash drives die. It could also be a firmware bug. But
in any case it's not due to writing Fedora installation media or we'd
have a thousand complaints like this if it were happening even 1% of
the time.

> I tried to format but there's problem
> with block sizes. If I try to format Gparted shows a warning  "Block sizes
> are of xx bytes but Linux says they are xx bytes"  and fails.

This is an expected side effect of the unusual partitioning being used
for ISOs. ISO 9660 defines a block size of 2048 bytes, where the USB
stick is 512 bytes, and sometimes the disconnect causes confusion.
Wiping the first 1M should fix it, or use the feature in FMW for this
purpose.

>  For some
> reason, Media Writer failed middle way in the process of making it bootable.

*shrug* without kernel messages it's kinda hard to say what went wrong
but in the absence of evidence I'll blame bad or dying media just
because it's so common.

> And it's not the first time it happens.  The previous one I fixed it running
> a programme, but I don't remember which one.
> So, I know it's not physically destroyed but to me it's almost the same, I
> lost the only USB stick I had for this purpose. The other one is for
> backups.

Use the f3 package to see if it's fake flash. It's pretty common, as
are transient problems.

--
Chris Murphy