Re: future of official optical media support in Fedora

On Tue, 2016-12-06 at 15:00 +0000, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> W dniu 06.12.2016 o 14:43, Kamil Paral pisze:
>
> > All of that is, of course, motivated by trying to spend QA time more
> > effectively. You can see the current coverage e.g. in this table [2],
> > overall we burn 6 DVDs and perform 12 optical installation (BIOS +
> > UEFI) for every release candidate published. We allow non-complete
> > (yet still substantial) coverage for Alpha and Beta, but 100%
> > coverage for Final for each candidate compose. That is quite time
> > consuming, both burning and installation from optical media take a
> > long time, it requires bare metal testing, and we can't use the
> > machines for anything else during that time.
>
> Why not boot VM with virtual optical drive? You can choose BIOS/UEFI,
> 32/64bit and do not require bare metal hardware for it.

It's not a sufficient test. We have had real bugs in the past where a
VM would boot from an ISO image, but real systems would not boot from
the same ISO image burned to a real optical disc.

Virtual machines are great for convenience, but they are not real
hardware and we cannot in good conscience release our product without
testing it on real machines with real media.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey