Re: future of official optical media support in Fedora

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 7:48 AM, Ms Sanchez <bhkohane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/12/16 15:05, Matthew Miller wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 02:05:20PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> It's still a good test to do.  For example, Server and netinst ISO
> images are used a lot for VMs, but not for bare metal.
>
> Well, your view - I have been using netinst-ISOs only, in recently years ;)
>
> Do you burn them to actual physical spinning optical media?
>

> I do that. Last time I tried to make a bootable USB I destroyed my pendrive
> and it's not like a have them for tons.  And it's not the first time this
> happens.

OK being an expert in hyperbole... I recognize this as such. There's
no way making a bootable USB stick destroys it. What you're probably
experiencing is confusing elsewhere as a result of the whacky hybrid
partition scheme that's used on Fedora ISOs. To clean it up you have
to wipe the first 3 sectors to remove all three partition schemes; but
you're maybe better off just zeroing the first 1MiB.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<stick> bs=1M count=1

The new Fedora Media Writer will recognize this hybrid partition
scheme on a USB stick and offer to reset it for you.

--
Chris Murphy