Re: Status of microcode updates

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We would like to enable hardware-assisted lock optimizations in glibc on
> multiple architectures.  In general, this feature works only on production
> hardware with current firmware, and not on pre-production machines some
> vendors provide for architecture bringup.

Have you got an overview of the required instructions/generations of
CPU architecture needed for each different architecture by chance?
>From there it might be  easier to give details of where all the build
HW is at. In the case of build VMs (x86/aarch64/Power64) does this
need to be emulated by qemu/kvm or is it passed through from the host
CPU?

> Are the Fedora builders using hardware with support contracts, and are
> vendor firmware updates applied occasionally, so that we can rely on what
> the CPU/firmware reports about CPU features?  (Some vendors had to disable
> lock optimizations through firmware updates because the CPU implementation
> was buggy.)
>
> Do we at least apply microcode updates early during Linux boot on the
> builders?

Only for x86, the cpu microcode update utility is only supported on
that architecture. I believe all the other architectures apply any CPU
firmware via the OS firmware/BIOS/what ever it's called on the various
platforms.

> What about default Fedora installations?  Do they come with early boot
> microcode updates?

See the microcode_ctl package.

> If all this is covered on the Fedora side, we probably can just enable lock
> optimizations, and we do not need to implement complicated hardware
> blacklisting.

All builders run Fedora, some are physical hardware, some are VMs
running on a RHEL hypervisor. As I mentioned above what does the
virtual hardware need to support in this regard? Have you got some
upstream docs about it for the various architectures?

Peter