Re: Status of microcode updates

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9 December 2016 at 07:41, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 7:30 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> On 12/09/2016 01:22 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>>> We can't predict the future.  But if Fedora builders use commercially
>>> supported hardware (and not pre-production samples from one of Red Hat's
>>> hardware partners), we can benefit from the efforts vendors put into fixing
>>> such issues.  Otherwise, we will have to reverse-engineer and replicate such
>>> workarounds in our own software, which is *very* difficult because vendors
>>> are traditionally very tight-lipped about such issues.
>>
>> I believe all of the builders are commercially supported hardware, or
>> the equivalent of such in case of some of the alternative
>> architectures.  If I remember correctly, on-site support and warranty
>> are two things required to get HW into the Fedora datacenter.  Again,
>> hopefully someone from Infra will confirm.
>>

> Builders are a combination of things and depend on the architecture.
> The information I am giving may also not be completely accurate and
> will require someone from Release Engineering to answer.
>
> 1) Virtual machines running in kvm (some Dell hardware, some cisco, some ibm?)
> 2) Dell hardware systems running Fedora 25 for x86_64/i386 builds.
> 3) IBM PPC systems which are sometimes preproduction hardware but
> running virtual images.

The IBM hardware has never, at least in my time, been pre-production
hardware. We've had at times pre-production firmware (for little
endian bootstrap) but it was production hardware it was running on.
The current hardware is production level Power 8 hardware.

> 4) Aarch64 hardware which are either production HP moonshot or
> preproduction Mustang systems

All the builders for rawhide are VMs running on production "B series"
X-gene hardware (HP Moonshot chassis).

> 5) s390 virtual systems
> 6) arm systems from a no longer around manufacturer.

And these will soon (Jan) move to virtual VMs running on the above HP hardware.