Re: Status of microcode updates

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday, 09 December 2016 at 13:41, Josh Boyer wrote:
> [...]
>> >
>> > This is good.  Will the initramfs also be regenerated using dracut if Fedora
>> > ships a microcode update?
>>
>> No.  The initramfs is never regenerated automatically.  Only a kernel
>> installation creates it, and it only gets regenerated if someone does
>> that by hand.
>
> Maybe it should be regenerated when the package containing microcode
> gets updated, then?

In theory, maybe.  In practice, it means that anything from the system
that gets pulled into the initramfs that has been updated will also be
included.  That can lead to confusing issues when that
kernel+initramfs combination was working, and now suddenly it doesn't
because one of the userspace components is broken.

If dracut grows a mode to only update the microcode, the we can
probably look at that more closely.  Otherwise, I'm not in favor for
introducing multiple variables that could possibly change in the boot
process.

josh