Re: a diversion into EPEL [was Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like]

On 9 December 2016 at 11:42, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Although..except for EPEL.  And how EPEL works should obviously be
>> > part of this. Things would feel clearer if EPEL lived in CentOS now
>> > perhaps.
>> Right; in mirror traffic, EPEL is to Fedora Workstation as
>> Workstation
>> is to Server. :)
>>
>> EPEL packages *are* Fedora packages, though — moving the project to
>> CentOS isn't completely crazy, but would require a lot more
>> integration and cooperation between the projects.
>
> Right, it would have to be easy for maintainers to contribute in both.
>
>> That's something I'd like to see anyway. I think there are a lot of
>> opportunities for this with containers and modularity — if you can
>> just run Fedora containers on CentOS or RHEL *directly*, why bother
>> rebuilding them?
>
> I agree that can be an option in some cases, however, I can think of a
> few cases which it cannot. (a) running centos7 on a container, without
> epel you cannot have that additional software, (b) kernel features
> which are available in Fedora but not in centos7, may cause the
> software not to work if they don't detect the features on runtime, (c)
> simplicity; not having to go through the path of having to run special
> tools for scanning vulnerabilities in running containers.

There is also the fact that I doubt that containers and modularity are
what EL customers are aware they want anytime soon. The majority of
EPEL users are on RHEL-6 (and that number is still growing as they
move from RHEL-5 to RHEL-6). RHEL-7 is growing but only at a  rate
which shows the conservative nature of most EL sites.

I expect that containers/modularity etc will become something EL users
want after Fedora considers it not only old but is actively looking to
replace it with some new shiney paradigm that will solve the problems
left from containers.

> regards,
> Nikos

Stephen J Smoogen.