Re: Some preliminary Fedora 25 stats — and future release scheduling

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:15 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 09:00:35AM -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:
>> With my QA hat on, I believe using decimal releases (integers,
>> characters or anything else) is a bad idea. The reason is that people
>> don't remember it. Most people remember whether they have Fedora
>
> Assuming we're generally leading towards "point release is basically a
> big batched update", that's actually a feature. We wouldn't even really
> have to increase the version number at all.

If you're going this way why not just leave the version number the
same and just re-spin all the release artifacts with the latest
components. That way you don't need to deal with branching etc as it
can all just happen on the same branch. You could then even do it as a
quarterly batched update, likely useful for security/bug fixes etc for
live/arm/cloud images too.