Re: Some preliminary Fedora 25 stats — and future release scheduling

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 09:04:11AM -0800, Gerald B. Cox wrote:

> > So, first, putting together a release is a lot of work. If we're
> > stepping on the toes of the previous releases, are we wasting some of
> > that work?
> I don't see the relevance of that observation.  A new version,
> whenever it is released will impact the uptake of the previous. If

I'm saying in this case, we released it before the previous version had
a chance to make as much impact as it could have.

> > Second, from a press/PR point of view, I think we get less total press
> > from having twice-a-year releases than we would from just having one
> > big one. When it's so frequent, it doesn't feel like news.
> Basing our release strategy on the fickleness of press coverage is
> subjective and isn't going to do give any consistent results.

But I didn't say this was due to fickleness. In any case, a release is
*definitely* a marketing event as well as a technical one, and PR is a
legitimate input into planning them.

> > Third, the modularity initiative and the "generational core" give
> > us an opportunity to rethink how we are doing releases entirely.
> Kevin's comment raised some important concerns about this.

I don't want to misrepresent Kevin's concerns, but as I understand
them, they're with modularity in conception rather than to do with
scheduling. I guess there's an intersection in that if we can't do
modularity at all it makes the particular release cycle I suggested
much harder to do — but overall I think it's a separate conversation.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>