Re: Some preliminary Fedora 25 stats — and future release scheduling

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So, first, putting together a release is a lot of work. If we're
> > stepping on the toes of the previous releases, are we wasting some of
> > that work?
> I don't see the relevance of that observation.  A new version,
> whenever it is released will impact the uptake of the previous. If

I'm saying in this case, we released it before the previous version had
a chance to make as much impact as it could have.

Thanks for the response.

If you're saying that you believe 5 months
wasn't long enough - I suppose that is fair... but the reason there was only 5 months wasn't by
design - it was due to schedule slippage.  As far as impact - I still not sure what that means?
Software is constantly being updated, evolving.  How does running older versions of software
increase "impact"?

I don't believe we are "wasting" work.  Regardless of their lifespan, all releases are appreciated and
valued.  They don't have to "age" like a wine.  If you're trying to say resources are limited and the
current release schedule has become unsustainable - that is another issue entirely.

> > Second, from a press/PR point of view, I think we get less total press
> > from having twice-a-year releases than we would from just having one
> > big one. When it's so frequent, it doesn't feel like news.
> Basing our release strategy on the fickleness of press coverage is
> subjective and isn't going to do give any consistent results.

But I didn't say this was due to fickleness. In any case, a release is
*definitely* a marketing event as well as a technical one, and PR is a
legitimate input into planning them.

I didn't say you said "fickleness".  That is my own opinion of the state of our media.  I was trying
to say that you can't rely on media coverage.  Yes I understand a new release is also a marketing
event.  I just don't believe the theoretical attention span of the media should impact our decisions.