Re: mutter broken in Rawhide

On Wed, 2016-12-07 at 06:21 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Kamil Paral wrote:
> > This serves as a nice example why we need to tweak how Rawhide works if we
> > want people actually running on it.
>
> And why do we need that? Rawhide is a place to do development, not a rolling
> release distro.
>
> > So, we either need:
> > a) updates-testing for Rawhide - e.g. with auto-push even with 0 karma
> > after 3 days, doesn't matter, it would still allow us to prevent many of
> > these issues
> > or
> > b) decouple building and submitting to Rawhide - because the idea that
> > everything and anything built is immediately part of the release seems
> > very broken to me.
>
> Those proposals will both slow down development to a crawl and prevent us
> from doing our packaging work.
>
> > At least if we want people to use it. If we want just a huge repo of
> > frequently broken bleeding edge packages, yes, that's exactly what we
> > have.
>
> The latter is exactly what you get when you do actual development. The
> former is a totally impractical illusion.

I quote, from https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide :

"Rawhide has the following Goals:

    To allow package maintainers to integrate the newest *usable*
versions of their packages into Fedora.
    To allow advanced users access to the newest *usable* packages in a
rolling manner."

Emphasis is original, not mine.

More to the point: it is entirely awful for the quality of Fedora as a
whole if Rawhide is allowed to be completely broken for substantial
periods of time - and this *did* make Rawhide completely broken. Just
about any package set besides minimal could not be installed or
updated. Several release-blocking deliverables entirely failed to
compose.

This isn't 2005 any more. It's not OK for us to go for weeks without
Rawhide working, then finally clean it all up a week before the Alpha
release and try to figure out where we stand. We have mechanisms now
which make it a reasonable goal to keep Rawhide working. As long as we
actually pay attention, they make it very easy to pinpoint breakage and
fix it much more easily than before.

But if we just let things be completely broken, all that goes away:
we've no idea if half the rest of the distro is broken if we can't get
to the point of testing it because of bugs like this. Keeping a
baseline level of fundamental working-ness lets us test in much more
depth and identify breakages *as they happen* and fix them rapidly.
Refusing to revert changes like this and instead insisting that their
consequences be fixed live, while the distro fails to work or build
properly for the entire time until that's done, is just a crappy way to
do things. We have the capability to do better, thus we should.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey