Re: i686 [was Re: how does Fedora 24 x86_64 boot on EFI-32?]

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 08:51:35AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> into it, and it's in the middle of his priorities somewhere between
>> "actual urgent work" and "other actual important work"), but
>> preliminary stats show a big drop in i686 mirror connections over the
>> last year — like, about cut in half. I'm not sure if this is a glitch
>> or representative of a real move — or whether it's because of perceived
>> or actual changes we've made, or just because people's old hardware is
>> hitting an end-of-life wall.
>
> For previous years, the percentage of hits to the mirror server (one IP
> counted per day) looks like this:
>
>   2007 - 85.3%
>   2008 - 80.6%
>   2009 - 76.9%
>   2010 - 71.5%
>   2011 - 65.4%
>   2012 - 56.2%
>   2013 - 46.0%
>   2014 - 35.7%
>   2015 - 22.1%
>
> So, roughly 5 percentage points lost the each year until 2012, and 10
> points a year after that. The average so far of 2016 is 17.9%, but
> that's a little deceptive because of the big drop I mentioned above —
> it's in the 20s at the beginning of the year, but around summer dropped
> to 15% or so and is now around 12% - so looks like the drop-10 pattern
> will hold again. We'll see if it goes to 2% in 2017, though!

For those who have really old systems, I've been fixing *tons* of i386
regressions affecting older machines.  Some of these regressions seem
to be several years old at least.  These machines may be so old that
Fedora *userspace* won't run on them, but if you want to keep that old
80486 working, give 4.9 or 4.10 a try :)

To the kernel maintainers: one of these bugs could (according to the
SDM) potentially affect even rather new machines and cause them to
hang in early boot.

--Andy