Re: how does Fedora 24 x86_64 boot on EFI-32?

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Pretty sure this predates CONFIG_EFI_MIXED, so it's predicated on
> creating 32-bit EFI GRUB *and* 32-bit OS which makes it easier to
> create dedicated media that boots properly. Easier being relative, of
> course.
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/392719/32-bit-uefi-boot-support/715843#715843
>
> At least on Fedora, 32-bit kernel support is about to go away,
> although I don't know if that's a done deal for Fedora 26 or 27, but
> it is imminent. Ergo I don't know if putting a huge amount of
> investment in a 32-bit Mac only spin makes a lot of sense.

While I completely agree that investing in a 32-bit Mac only spin
isn't the best use of our resources, this is a somewhat dramatic take
on what is actually happening with regards to i686 in the general
sense.  It isn't going away.  Nothing is "imminent".  It hasn't even
been officially proposed to demote to an alternative architecture yet.

What has happened is that the Editions have chosen to not emphasize or
produce 32-bit installation images, and the limited resources on the
kernel team are not focusing on it as a priority.  However, interested
and dedicated community members have continued to test and report
issues and a number of the continue to be fixed.  Those efforts are
welcome and should continue as long as the greater community persists
at them.

If, and it is only an if, the Fedora project decides to move i686 to
an alternative architecture it will be done through the normal process
and with much discussion and care around making that decision.  It
isn't going to happen quickly even if that is the conclusion that is
reached.

I mean only to clarify here.  Too often people skim or media picks up
on brief statements from those that actually do understand but are
writing a rushed reply and we get misinformation spreading beyond our
project's normal communication channels.  That helps neither our
project, nor any potential community members that may wish to pitch in
on such areas.

josh