Re: Recommended upgrade procedure for >1 release upgrades

On 11/22/2016 04:44 PM, Kamil Paral wrote:
>> OK, so we have two cases here:
>>
>> 1) gnome-software as is currently in F23 and F24
>>
>> 2) gnome-software future releases
>>
>> For (1), the version of gnome-software in F23 and F24 currently doesn't
>> have the UI in place to allow choosing which version to upgrade to, so
>> gnome-software needs to somehow automatically pick the version. My idea
>> here was patch F23 and F24 gnome-softwares so that they always offer the
>> latest non-development version, bounding it to N+2.
>>
>> Example: A user has F23 installed. F24 comes out. gnome-software offers
>> to upgrade to F24. 6 months later F25 comes out, gnome-software switches
>> to offering a F23 to F25 upgrade. 3 years later when F23 and F25 are
>> both EOL, F23 gnome-software still continues to offer the F25 upgrade.
>>
>> As for (2), I guess we should do the same as (1) but just allow the user
>> to choose the N+1 release as well in addition to N+2.
>
> This sounds as the best option to me.
>
> If the user hasn't upgraded to N+1 in 6 months, it's pretty clear she does not want to upgrade too frequently, quite the opposite. So why should we recommend here just N+1 upgrade, which doesn't decrease the number of needed upgrades at all? In another 6 months she will be forced to upgrade again. Rather, let's suggest N+2 upgrade, which cuts the number of needed upgrades in half. (As for upgrade safety, this is very hard to measure, but I believe both methods have a very similar success rate). Of course, having a option to choose the target release in gnome-software would definitely help.

OK, I went ahead and implemented the above for (1) as discussed. I'd
appreciate help with testing this is it now makes gnome-software in F23
start offering F23->F25 upgrades.

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-914e5c1df9 (F23)
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-a5c4b0bbcc (F24)

--