Re: Recommended upgrade procedure for >1 release upgrades

> On 11/18/2016 07:07 AM, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
>>>
>>> No, GNOME Software does not use dnf and never will.
>>
>> I knew that packaging in Fedora is one step from madness but now I see
>> that it is one step above madness...
>>
>> dnf, packagekit, gnome software... how many other tools try to work as
>> package upgrading tools in Fedora?
>>
>> Or does gnome software uses packagekit? Then why PK does not use dnf?
>
> GNOME Software uses PackageKit and both PackageKit and DNF these days use the
> same underlying dependency resolvers. So they're a lot closer than they used to be.
>
> The remaining issues are basically that they don't share a history database or
> local file cache, but I think that's being worked on For F26 or F27. (I'll leave
> it to Richard Hughes or Kalev Lember to confirm).

There's a plan, but I don't think anyone is currently actively working
on this. I may look into this for F26, but not promising anything right now.

The first part of the plan was to switch PackageKit and DNF both to use
a shared libdnf library. PackageKit switched to it in F25 and DNF is now
using it in rawhide/F26 as well. Next up would be to fix things up so
that both PackageKit and DNF access downloaded metadata through the new
shared library.

--
Kalev