Re: Fedora on Macs, removing the release criterion

On 2016-11-17 10:30 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
Not exactly. I do the same tests every cycle and assumed I had done
those tests, and I still think I did, but it's possible there's some
unusual nuance in my particular setup that caused me to not hit the
bug. But I'm not traveling with my Mac at the moment so I still
haven't been able to do an autopsy on what testing I have done, or how
the layout of that machine could affect the outcome of the bug. The
bug is really straightforward as I understand it, so I'm still kinda
mystified how I didn't run into it other than just being distracted
with a new non-Mac laptop.

What I suspect is that you didn't do a fresh dual-boot install, but always installed over an existing Fedora install. I did not look into exactly what the old code does in that case.

I'm fairly sure in that case it would identify *both* the real existing 'macefi' partition and the OS X system partition as 'macefi' partitions. But it only needs to pick *one* of them to be /boot/efi. I did not bother figuring out how it makes that decision. My best guess is that it happens to pick the 'real' macefi partition in that case - either reliably, or it's unpredictable/random but it happened to pick the right one in your case - and then the install would work OK.

This is just conjecture, though. I'm interested to see your results.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey