Re: Should we stop stripping static libraries?

On Tuesday 15 November 2016 08:03 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> One does not build _programs_ with/out -g. One builds objects, and
> links objects into programs.

Sorry I did not word that correctly - I do know that emitting debuginfo
is a compile time operation but I wanted to make the case that when
linking objects, the linker should be aware of whether debuginfo was
requested or not at compile time to maintain consistency about the
presence of debuginfo in objects.

On thinking about this further though, the linker won't be able to do
this automatically and it would need a hint from the compiler in some
form or the other and I can't think of a sane way to do that, so I
withdraw my objection.  It would be nice however to make a note of this
somewhere in the release notes.

Thanks,
Siddhesh