Re: RFC: Change the default hostname for Fedora 26+

On 10 November 2016 at 12:11, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-11-10 at 09:58 -0700, stan wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 11:21:13 -0500
>> Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > So in any case, what I am suggesting is that we make a semi-unique
>> > identifier. It is unique enough that you won't get a collision in some
>> > 'target' space, but not so unique that it stands out like a black dot
>> > on a white shirt. Make the code adjustable somewhere in the process so
>> > that if someone wants it off, it can be done and if they need it to be
>> > a bigger space it can be done so.
>>
>> Isn't this pretty trivial to create?  We put a limit on the number of
>> machines that are accessible on a local network, say 10 million.  Then
>> we start at
>> Fedora-1.localhost.
>> e.g.
>> 'Fedora-' + str (counter) + '.localhost'
>>
>> So if there is only one computer on the local network it is named
>> Fedora-1.localhost.
>>
>> If there is more than one computer on the local network, we check for
>> collisions with names until we hit the next in numerical order that
>> isn't taken.
>>
>> while name_taken,
>>  counter += 1
>>  hostname = 'Fedora-' + str (counter) + '.localhost'
>>  name_taken = check_for_collision (hostname)
>>
>> This ensures there will be *lots* of collisions on the web, but zero
>> locally, at least for the first few hosts.
>>
>> Or am I missing something?
>
> How exactly are you planning to check for collisions with hosts that
> are shut down or somewhere else (laptops)?

Or even how are you going to communicate that there is another machine
of that name? That is a registration and command and control issue in
a completely different 'stack' than the installer usually is in.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.