Re: RFC: Change the default hostname for Fedora 26+

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 11:21:13 -0500
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So in any case, what I am suggesting is that we make a semi-unique
> identifier. It is unique enough that you won't get a collision in some
> 'target' space, but not so unique that it stands out like a black dot
> on a white shirt. Make the code adjustable somewhere in the process so
> that if someone wants it off, it can be done and if they need it to be
> a bigger space it can be done so.

Isn't this pretty trivial to create?  We put a limit on the number of
machines that are accessible on a local network, say 10 million.  Then
we start at
Fedora-1.localhost.
e.g.
'Fedora-' + str (counter) + '.localhost'

So if there is only one computer on the local network it is named
Fedora-1.localhost.

If there is more than one computer on the local network, we check for
collisions with names until we hit the next in numerical order that
isn't taken.

while name_taken,
 counter += 1
 hostname = 'Fedora-' + str (counter) + '.localhost'
 name_taken = check_for_collision (hostname)

This ensures there will be *lots* of collisions on the web, but zero
locally, at least for the first few hosts.

Or am I missing something?