Re: RFC: Soname in rpm name

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Aurelien Bompard wrote:

Hi all

A question to packagers: what would you think of a policy to add the library
soname in package libraries ? For example, I have a libkexif package, which
provides libkexif.so.0, and at least 3 applications depend on it. Now there
is an update to libkexif, which provides libkexif.so.1. I can't update
libkexif without updating the applications depending on it.

In this particular case, my suggestion would be to bite the bullet and upgrade libkexif and all apps that depend on it.

While were on the subjet of exif, any reason fedora-devel hasn't upgraded to libexif-0.6.x yet? libkexif-0.2.1's configure scriptlet strongly recommends it.

-- Rex