Re: DNF and PackageKit background data usage

On 31/10/16 13:29, Richard Hughes wrote:
On 31 October 2016 at 12:55, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So how do I tag a connection as unmetered with systemd-networkd?
You can't. You get a box of bits if you start replacing parts of the
Workstation experience

Right, in this case you'd just have to do "gsettings set
org.gnome.software download-updates false" -- we can't possibly cope
with every kind of configuration possible when you start removing key
bits of infrastructure that GNOME expects to be there.

Well I long ago removed gnome-software completely from my machines anyway so it doesn't really bother me but really the original point in respect of people using NM and Gnome Software is that trying to track whether the connection is metered at the connection level doesn't really make any sense.

On top of which I wonder how many people actually know that you can mark a connection as metered in NetworkManager - it's not like it asks when you connect to a new WiFi network if it is metered or not...

The DNF cache is a separate issue of course as I'm not sure that makes any attempt to check for metered connections.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/