Re: DNF and PackageKit background data usage

On 31 Oct 2016, at 11:41, Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 30 October 2016 at 01:26, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 1) Both dnf and GNOME Software / PackageKit default to performing
>> fairly data-hungry transactions in the background, out of the box,
>> without telling you about it. GNOME's is particularly bad, as it will
>> happily download available updates in the background, which can be
>> gigabytes worth of data.
>
> If you're on an "unmetered" connection type...

How does a connection become "unmetered"? It can't just be on interface type, as I have metered connections on all interface types, so presumably you use some form of web service to distinguish "metered" from "unmetered" based on a list of known IP blocks?

Or do you simply assume that all connections are metered until the user says otherwise?

--
Simon Farnsworth