Re: DNF and PackageKit background data usage

On 10/30/2016 02:26 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> There's two things I think are somewhat unfortunate here:
>
> 1) Both dnf and GNOME Software / PackageKit default to performing
> fairly data-hungry transactions in the background, out of the box,
> without telling you about it. GNOME's is particularly bad, as it will
> happily download available updates in the background, which can be
> gigabytes worth of data. DNF only updates its metadata caches (on a
> systemd timer), but even that could be behaviour that users in certain
> circumstances really really do not want.
>
> 2) There is no particularly obvious or visible mechanism for a 'typical
> user' (or, if you prefer, many of the target 'personas' for our
> flavors) to configure this behaviour...and you have to figure out two
> completely *different* configuration mechanisms in order to shut off
> both.

Add to this that these caches seem to be never cleaned, so that they
grow up very large  up to the point they prevent updating the system. I
just found that the packagekit cache on my machine is about 7Gb !!!
Probably because I do use packageit at all (dnf cache is much smaller at
~700 Mb).

A common cache, would be very welcome if possible. Less time, less
download volume, less used space.

	Theo.