Re: Bodhi For Rawhide?

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:53:27 PM CEST Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking, why we don't have enabled Bodhi for Rawhide? I know that
> you might think now that I went nut and it is bureaucracy,

Not at all to me.

> but let me
> explain.
>
> If I understand it correctly, during several past years, our build
> process was more streamlined and we are trying to do the Rawhide
> composes in a similar fashion we are doing stable releases. But for some
> reason, we are still not using Bodhi for Rawhide and I see no reasons
> not to use it. Here are some benefits if we were using Bodhi:
>
> * One of the nice things which Bodhi does is running several check, such
> as depcheck, rpmlint (actually question if we are using rpmlint for
> Fedora builds was what triggered this email), etc. On one hand, I'd love
> to see these checks running in Koji, but there is no support for them
> and I don't even see the support coming. So enabling Bodhi for Rawhide
> would give us this opportunity.

+1.  I've been looking at abidiff output for F25 today, and I came to exactly
the same conclusion:  That's useful especially in Rawhide.

> It is actually quite interesting, that while most of the development
> happens in Rawhide, there is less sanity checks then for the Rawhide, so
> if you screw up something in Rawhide, it will get into stable version
> and you might not notice until you submit some stable update.
>
> * From time to time, there is necessary to build some framework, which
> consist of several components which must be released together.
> Currently, we either temporarily break Rawhide or we are asking for side
> tag. But why not use koji for that? Users of stable releases are not
> affected by incomplete builds, since the don't reach even the
> update-testing without pushing via Bodhi.

If we are able to submit this as one "gigantic" update, then bodhi is fine,
otherwise:
https://fedorahosted.org/bodhi/ticket/663

> * And probably last think, why the Rawhide should be really exception?
> Why we should not use Bodhi if we are using it anywhere else?

The reason for exception might be that bodhi == a bit slower workflow during
big rebuilds, but with side-tags that's not an issue IMO.

> Lets use Bodhi for Rawhide, where the submitted update would immediately
> go into Rawhide, unless maintainer wishes some testing period.
>
> Any comments on this topic?

Question:  is Rawhide "rolling" distro?  Or is this bodhi/QA step needed to make
it working "rolling" distro?

Pavel