Re: RPM %changelog?

On 10/25/2016 09:35 PM, David Shea wrote:
Please, no, don't do that. RPM is a standard

lol.

 * The representation of file names in package headers changed in rpm-4.0.
 * Originally, file names were stored as an array of absolute paths.
 * In rpm-4.0, file names are stored as separate arrays of dirname's and
 * basename's, * with a dirname index to associate the correct dirname
 * with each basname.

That's just my personal favorite. The RPM standard is whatever RPM is doing right now.

Well then, who exactly should set the RPM standard if not RPM itself?

FWIW, the change in question occurred in the transition from RPM V3 packages to V4 packages which involved much more than just file name storage and RPM still transparently handles both package versions sixteen years after the change. I'm not sure what's so funny about that.

	- Panu -