Re: RPM %changelog?

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Michael Catanzaro
<mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2016-10-23 at 03:49 +0000, Christopher wrote:
>> 2. Should I preserve the entire changelog in the SPEC? Or should I
>> roll it
>> over when I update to the latest upstream? It seems the changelog
>> could
>> easily become the bulk of a package if everything is preserved, and
>> I'd
>> think git would suffice for anything older than the last few rebases
>> onto
>> latest upstream.
>
> This is indeed annoying. In most packages, the changelog is almost the
> entire spec file. Some packagers eventually delete old changelog
> entries, most don't. SUSE has a %changelog RPM macro that fixes this by
> moving the changelog into a .changes file stored in the same directory.
>  Every SUSE package uses it. Probably we should too?

In Mageia, we use the VCS log as input to dynamically generate the RPM
changelog and append it to the spec as part of the SRPM build process
for the package build. The only issue is that there's a small bit of
information loss in terms of the date stamp, but if a few commits from
RPM git master[1][2][3] were backported, then Dist-Git<->RPM changelog
can be done in a lossless fashion.

However, we currently don't encourage that Git logs match RPM
changelogs exactly in Fedora. We'd need to adjust our process and
tooling for that.

There's also the matter of not being able to fix up Git logs in
Dist-Git, through using fixup commits, squashing, etc. That would be a
rather big change to make in its own right.

[1]: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/commit/57f94a582602f0353cdb17a02dc12c4461d4f32d
[2]: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/commit/edd380384ce2f15a42129c3654e79e5763c54336
[3]: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/commit/36145133ed29edcbc1f17350915cc953a29b8422