Re: F26 proposal: Make Fedora Media Writer the officially supported USB install media creator

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 15:43:04 +0000
John Florian <john.florian@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> Thanks for all the feedback Adam.  I'll start playing around with
> livemedia-creator to learn how my world needs to transform.  It will
> be interesting to see how this all dovetails with the stateless
> support[0] that the systemd folks have (had?) been working on.
>
> [0] http://0pointer.net/blog/projects/stateless.html

On a tangent, reading that triggered some thoughts about how linux
systems are organized.  They seem to still be structured as if linux
was monolithic like the historical proprietary unix flavors it emulates.
It makes no sense to structure a system like that when it is composed of
changeable packages, is updated regularly, and can shrink or grow.

In combination with the concept of modularity I read about in another
email today, it would make a lot more sense to have something
like a /usr/pkgs directory where every installed package has a
directory, and put etc, share, man, bin?, lib64? ... under that
directory. i.e. every package is modular.  To satisfy traditional
software, a symbolic, or hard, link could be inserted
in /usr/bin, /usr/lib64, /etc, /usr/share/man, etc.

Just an idea, thought I'd throw it out there.  Might be completely
unworkable.