Re: F26 proposal: Make Fedora Media Writer the officially supported USB install media creator

On Sat, 2016-10-08 at 22:33 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 08, 2016 at 08:59:33AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > >

> > > First question: is FMW the same thing as liveusb-creator? In an
> > > up-to-date F25 machine, searching for "media", "fedora", and "writer"
> > > in the gnome search dialogue yields no results. A few simple searches
> > > live 'dnf search fedora-media-writer' and 'dnf search fmw' also yield
> > > nothing. How are people supposed to find this?
> >

> > It's 'mediawriter', if you have it installed, searching for 'media' in
> > GNOME Shell should definitely be showing it.
>
> Yep, once it's installed. Before installation, gnome shell shows "no results"
> for "mediawriter".
>
> OK, so the whole thing is very confusing. Google for "fedora media writer"
> returns here:
> 1. http://developers.redhat.com/blog/2016/04/26/fedora-media-writer-the-fastest-way-to-create-live-usb-boot-media/
>
> which says "sudo dnf install liveusb-creator"

Yeah, that was the *first* rewrite, when it got sort-of renamed but the
package name remained the same. The *second* rewrite happened between
April and now and resulted in the new package.

> 3. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2016-04-19_Fedora_Media_Writer
>
> which says "sudo dnf --enablerepo=updates-testing --refresh --best install liveusb-creator"

Ditto, that was the test day from April, when the package rename had
not yet happened.

> Positions 2. and 4. are about mediawriter, 5. is again about liveusb-creator,
> then a bunch is about mediawriter. Maybe it would be reasonable to add a big
> banner on pages 1. and 3. to use mediawriter instead.

Well, they're both kinda transient pages, I'd expect that over time
they'll simply naturally drop out of the top of the Google results. We
have lots and lots of old Test Day pages with no-longer-current data in
them, it'd be a full-time job going through them all and sticking
banners in them where they're no longer accurate...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey