Re: F26 proposal: Make Fedora Media Writer the officially supported USB install media creator

On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 12:49:07PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> Based on today's blocker review meeting discussion, and this email
>> thread [1] I'd like to propose making only Fedora Media Writer the
>> *officially supported* USB installation media creation tool, starting
>> with Fedora 26.
>
> First question: is FMW the same thing as liveusb-creator?

No, it's a rewrite. But there is confusion about handling obsoleting
LUC or keeping it around somehow because it does support persistence.
The last I heard the consensus was to obsolete it. Plus I think it's
kinda broken at the moment, so how to support multiple writers? It's
difficult enough as it is, which is the point of this thread.

> In an
> up-to-date F25 machine, searching for "media", "fedora", and "writer"
> in the gnome search dialogue yields no results. A few simple searches
> live 'dnf search fedora-media-writer' and 'dnf search fmw' also yield
> nothing. How are people supposed to find this?

So long as it passes QA testing, which it has so far, the plan is for
it to be the primary downloadable. Instead of getting an ISO, you get
a platform specific copy of Fedora Media Writer. The tool downloads
the Fedora image of choice, checks the hash, and writes it to a stick.

But yeah finding the *current* version right now is a bit difficult.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_USB_fmw suggests:

sudo dnf --enablerepo=updates-testing --refresh --best install mediawriter

--
Chris Murphy