Re: F26 proposal: Make Fedora Media Writer the officially supported USB install media creator

On Sat, 2016-10-08 at 14:24 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 12:49:07PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > Based on today's blocker review meeting discussion, and this email
> > thread [1] I'd like to propose making only Fedora Media Writer the
> > *officially supported* USB installation media creation tool, starting
> > with Fedora 26.
>

> First question: is FMW the same thing as liveusb-creator? In an
> up-to-date F25 machine, searching for "media", "fedora", and "writer"
> in the gnome search dialogue yields no results. A few simple searches
> live 'dnf search fedora-media-writer' and 'dnf search fmw' also yield
> nothing. How are people supposed to find this?

It's 'mediawriter', if you have it installed, searching for 'media' in
GNOME Shell should definitely be showing it.

> Second question: how do I run this:
>
> Clicking on the liveusbcreator icon gives me a polkit dialogue and a
> spinning cursor which disappears after a while with no futher effect.

The liveusb-creator package still exists but is badly broken. I already
filed a bug suggesting mediawriter should obsolete it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey