Re: Weak password madness is back again

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 8:17 AM, Tomas Mraz <tmraz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Pá, 2016-10-07 at 15:56 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So 2 devel cycles ago we had this whole discussion
>> about how forcing people to choose strong passwords in anaconda
>> was making live hard for testers / test-installs and this
>> decision was reverted.
>>
>> So now here I'm doing a F25 Fedora ARM test install, end up
>> in the gnome-ified first-time-setup wizzard and cannot continue
>> until I make my test-user password strong enough. UGH.
>>
>> So can we get this fixed please, or do we need to escalate
>> this all the way up to FESco again ?
>
> Is that a regression? Previously the discussion was about Anaconda not
> about gnome initial setup or whatever is the password dialogue you are
> talking about. Not that I am supporter of making it impossible to
> override password strength check in any kind of initial setup tools.
>
> The only place where the password strength check should not be
> overridable is when a regular user tries to change his own password.

To this day in the latest Windows and macOS, the regular user can use
"hi" as a password, and the world is still not ending. More user
freedom for passwords on proprietary platforms. It's ironic.

The shortest password I can get GNOME's Settings > Users > Change
Password to accept is UiNls8%M which is hilarious.

February is also eight characters, but I'm punished for using a common
word. Even february5 is disallowed. The shortest easiest to remember
one I could come up with was june5may which is eight characters.

It's from the same era of pompous fake security as compulsory password
changes after 90 days. Oh well, we have bigger problems anyway.

--
Chris Murphy