Re: Weak password madness is back again

Hi,

On 07-10-16 16:17, Tomas Mraz wrote:
On Pá, 2016-10-07 at 15:56 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

So 2 devel cycles ago we had this whole discussion
about how forcing people to choose strong passwords in anaconda
was making live hard for testers / test-installs and this
decision was reverted.

So now here I'm doing a F25 Fedora ARM test install, end up
in the gnome-ified first-time-setup wizzard and cannot continue
until I make my test-user password strong enough. UGH.

So can we get this fixed please, or do we need to escalate
this all the way up to FESco again ?

Is that a regression?

I don't know this is the first time I encountered the
gnome initial-setup wizard instead of using anaconda (due to how
arm images work).

Previously the discussion was about Anaconda

Right, but since we've had this whole heated discussion about how
a strong password should not be mandatory for initial account
creation, it seems silly to me that only Anaconda actually abides
by that decision and other tools with the same purpose do not.

not about gnome initial setup or whatever is the password dialogue you are
talking about.

I got something which looks like the gnome welcome wizard, but then
before logging in, since there did not exist any user on the system yet.

This version of the gnome welcome wizard allows one to create an user
and select a timezone in essence taking the place of initial-setup-gui
on non workstation spins.

If someone knows the package name of the gnome replacement for
initial-setup-gui used on the workstation spin, then please let me
know then I will file a bug for this.

 Not that I am supporter of making it impossible to
override password strength check in any kind of initial setup tools.

Right, exactly my point.

The only place where the password strength check should not be
overridable is when a regular user tries to change his own password.

Ack, that is not what I'm talking about, this is initial account
creation for the first user on the system.

Regards,

Hans